Monday, July 21, 2014

Speaking My Daughter’s Love Language

maisy game

Speaking my daughter’s love language helps her feel security and connection; but learning her love language is about more than that. It’s about opening *my* heart and being willing to grow in a direction I would never have charted on my own. Speaking her love language is not something I DO, so much as someone I AM...or, at least, someone I am becoming. Speaking love languages helps us grow together. It pushes us to become more. And, I believe, God blesses us with the children (and people) in our lives to push and pull us, to form and reform us, like a potter working with clay, that we may be deeper vessels for his glory. And, so I played a Maisy game with Phoebe this morning; not because I wanted to (because I didn’t want to) and not because I was trying to trade Phoebe attention for obedience (which I am sometimes guilty of). No. This morning I simply played with her because I love her; and -- y’know what? -- I enjoyed myself. 

"He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?"
(Micah 6:8)

-- Erin || ekwetzel.com || @ekwetzel

(original post appeared on instagram)

No comments:

Post a Comment